Monday, February 22, 2010

update!!

So, I ran my marathon almost a month ago now!!!! i just haven't been on to update this in a while...but anyways...it went so great!! it was 13.1 miles and i checked my bloodsugar every 2 miles-ish. cause i didnt have a clock with me so i figured every 2 miles would be good. I kept my bloodsugar machine and some snacks in my fanny pack. yes, my fanny pack. It's Nathan brand, so its like legit for running. and i just filled both bottles with water, which wasn't nearly enough by the way! I was in the 200's for the first half of the marathon and then towards the end i started getting down in the low one hundreds, and i felt really sick, like if i ate anything i might throw up! but i forced myself to at least eat a few gu chomps. and they actually helped keep me steady. and we finished the half marathon in 2:42!! so that was awesome. and after the marathon i turned my pump off for about 6 hours. Now, my aunt and i are training for a triathalon, so that'll be interesting to see how that all goes.

Me and haylee have started going to a support group for teens wtih diabetes!!!! it is actually really cool. i was nervous at first, but everything went well. there were like 15 kids there it was crazy! and the meetings? are llike every 3 months. this one was at this place called amazing jakes, which was really fun. and we just all hung out, told our stories, and had a good time. There was this boy there who was 12 and just got diagnosed 2 weeks ago!!! 2 freakin weeks! i felt sooo sorry for him. he was taking it all really well though. i know that 2 weeks after i got diagnosed i was not in the same place he is now. i wish i would have started going to the group like a year ago when i first started getting the invites. it is seriously really cool. and it's also kind of weird cause you like go to talk about your diabetes or to check your bloodsugar and you're like wait a minute! they know what im talking about!! it's cool to be around people who get it and who have been and are in the same place you are!!!! (:

Alyssa

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Alyssa!! I am so proud of you, it is such a HUGE accomplishment to run like that with diabetes. Good luck with the triathalon! Your Auntie loves you!!

    ReplyDelete